top of page

Scholarships for Dependents of Disabled Military Veterans

image of young girls holding diplomas

If you are a dependent of a military veteran and looking to pursue your academic or professional goals, you have numerous scholarship opportunities to choose from. These scholarships are specifically designed to support and honor the sacrifices made by military families. With a little research, you can find the perfect scholarship that aligns with your field of study and academic achievements and helps you succeed in your chosen career path.

As an advertiser, this post may contain Affiliate links.

Scholarships for Dependents of Military Veterans

Heroes Legacy Scholarship

The Fisher House Foundation offers the Heroes Legacy Scholarship. The Heroes' Legacy Scholarships program honors not only those who have fallen in battle but all who have died or have become disabled through their active military service since September 11, 2001. The program is open to their dependent unmarried children under age 23.

Scholarship for Military Children

The Fisher House Foundation offers the Scholarship for Military Children, to unmarried military dependent children under the age of 23 who possess a valid Uniformed Services Identification (USID) card. The scholarship is $2,000 and awarded annually. The scholarships are based on commissary locations worldwide.

Florida Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans

The Florida Scholarships for Children and Spouses of Deceased or Disabled Veterans offers dependents of military veterans the ability to receive an undergraduate degree in Florida at no cost. For a veteran's dependents to be eligible for the CSDDV scholarship, the veteran must have been a Florida resident for 12 months immediately preceding the disability award date, and proof of the veteran's status must be provided.

American Legions Legacy Scholarship

The American Legions Legacy Scholarship provides college funding to children of post-9/11 veterans who died on active duty or those with a combined VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Expenses may include tuition, fees, books, program costs, meal plans, and housing.

Paralyzed Veterans of America Scholarship

The Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA) offers the PVA Scholarship for Children of Disabled Veterans, which is open to children of PVA members who are 18 years of age or older and enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university. This scholarship is for children of PVA members who have been paralyzed in the line of duty. The scholarship covers up to $2,000 per year for undergraduate study.

Military Order of the Purple Heart

The Military Order of the Purple Heart (MOPH) offers the MOPH National Scholarship, which is open to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year enrolled full-time in an accredited college or university. To be eligible to receive a Purple Heart MOPH Scholarship, applicants must be a graduate or upcoming graduate (current senior) of a high school or GED program, have been accepted into a full-time accredited institution, and maintain a 2.75 GPA.

Disabled American Veterans Scholarship

The Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Scholarship is for children of DAV members who have been disabled in the line of duty. The scholarship covers up to $2,500 for full-time students, $750 for part-time students, and unique students with less than six credit hours are eligible for scholarships not to exceed $750. Applicants must list what they have done to serve disabled veterans/families during the past two years.

The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation

The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation offers need-based scholarships to military children and grandchildren of the U.S. Marine Corps or U.S. Navy. The Scholarship Foundation gives particular attention to those with a parent who has been killed or wounded in action or who have demonstrated financial need. Demonstrated financial need is established for families whose adjusted gross income is less than $112,000 annually.

The Department of Defense SMART Scholarship

The Department of Defense SMART Scholarship is open to high school seniors who have a parent or guardian who is a disabled military veteran. SMART Scholars are provided with the tools required to pursue their STEM education and begin their careers in a prestigious civilian position with the Department of Defense (DoD). The scholarship currently provides up to $46,000 per year to help with the cost of college.

Maj. Gen. James Ursano Scholarship Program for Army Children

The United States Army Emergency Relief (USAER) Scholarship offers the Maj. Gen. James Ursano Scholarship Program for Army Children for children pursuing an undergraduate degree with financial assistance for up to four years.

Folds of Honor Higher Education Scholarships

The Folds of Honor Higher Education Scholarships are valued at $5,000 and are awarded to qualifying spouses and children of fallen or disabled U.S. service members. The restricted scholarship must be used for approved educational purposes such as tuition, most fees, required textbooks, or approved required school uniforms. Funds will be sent directly to the educational institution and will not be sent to an individual. You must reapply annually to continue receiving the scholarship.

Military Officers Association of America (MOAA)

The Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) Scholarship Fund offers the American Patriot Scholarship to students whose military parent died while serving during active military service. Eligible students can receive up to $7,000 per school year, and those who also receive Traumatic Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance payments can also apply.

AMVETS Scholarships

AMVETS provides multiple scholarships for veterans, active duty, spouses, children, and grandchildren of military service members. The Children and Grandchildren scholarship currently offers up to $4,000 in scholarships to graduating high school seniors. The $4,000 is disbursed over 4 years and can be used to fund education expenses. If your dependent was enrolled in a JROTC program in high school, AMVETs also offers a $1,000 scholarship during the college students' freshman year.

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers the Post-9/11 GI Bill that can be transferred to a veteran's dependents. Veterans can transfer all or some of their unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the Armed Forces. Once DOD approves benefits for transfer, the new beneficiaries can apply for tuition assistance through the VA.

Other Education and Scholarship Resources

If you're looking for additional scholarship resources for your child, the Army Emergency Relief fund has compiled a list of resources here. Don't delay your search for scholarship resources. Start planning now so your child's education is funded before they go to college.


Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
ArRicca RicCol
ArRicca RicCol
Aug 18, 2023
Rated 5 out of 5 stars.

Great information

Annette Harris
Annette Harris
Aug 25, 2023
Replying to

Thank you. Please share these resources with any military veterans you may know.

bottom of page